Monday, December 01, 2008

No Thank You

So even though I am not supposed to be trying to date yet per my therapist I have been scrolling craigslist anyway cause you never know when Mr. Right may show up (and good gawd this sentence is really long). I have seen a guy on there a couple times that seemed like he would be interesting to talk to and he made it a point to mention that he really just wanted to be friends first. Friends should be ok, so I went ahead and emailed him.

He responded that he wasn't too into emailing and gave me his number if I would like to call him. He would understand if I wasn't comfortable with that just yet and said it was also ok to email. i decided to just go ahead and call him. Boy, am I glad I did.

First of all, he started the conversation off by telling me all about his custody battle with his kid who is not really his kid. Then he tells me how his kid is a genius and he is a genius and no one is possibly smarter then they are. His kid's real dad could not possibly give him the intellectual stimulation he could possibly need cause he is just a knuckle-head ex-Marine. In the 30 minutes we spoke he never once asked me anything about me or my life. He proceeded to converse with his kid and remark at how smart he is.

Then he said he really needed to go play Legos (mind you it is about 10pm and little kids should be in bed) with his kid, but hey let's go do lunch tomorrow.

So out of the 10 words I said the last ones I uttered to him were, "No, thank you."

I am really proud of myself for this. In the past I have never turned down a date, even if I wasn't too into it to start with. I have always made excuses about the guy being nervous, giving him a chance, blah blah blah. There has also been a part of me that feels if a guy is willing to give me attention that I should jump at the chance. This is no longer the case. I am learning that I DESERVE MORE. I know in my heart that the right guy will come along at the right time and he will love me for me. He will love me whether I am fat or thin, young or old, smart or stupid, pretty or ugly, rich or poor. So in the meantime, there may be a lot of "no, thank yous" as I wait for Mr. Right to come along.

3 comments:

Kameron said...

"I don't know why she turned me down. I showed no interest in her life, I clearly told her how awesome I am, how I'm smarter than all of humanity, and that I'm in a custody nightmare over my stepson -- what else could she want in a guy? Women don't make any sense..."

Only last week did I learn about the Craigslist personals. It's disarming how many supposedly grown women in Utah seem to regard being a "princess" as a beneficial trait.

Congratulations on declining the date, BTW. Learning to trust your judgment can be a breakthrough.

Curvy girl said...

Here it is the men that all want a size 2 Barbie girl that camps. Seriously, what is so whoopee about camping? There is a reason man evolved into sleeping indoors on comfy beds with indoor plumbing.

Anonymous said...

you go girl - you are awesome and don't waste your time with all those mr. wrongs!