Thursday, January 05, 2006

Let's get down and derby, baby!

So I had my first roller derby practice last night. I have never felt so damn uncoordinated in all of my life. It's been YEARS since I've been on skates and boy did it show. I wobbled my way out to the center of the rink, holding onto the walls for stability. And what was my first drill you ask? Learning to fall. Ummmm, hellloooo people, my plan was not to fall on my ass. All the newbies are falling around me and I just can not bring myself to fall on purpose. Finally our beatuiful trainer, Betsy Blackheart, grabs me by the hand and says, "We are going to fall together so I can help you overcome your fear." So she falls and pulls me with her. Damn! That wasn't so bad, what was I freaking out for? So I spent the rest of practice falling: single knee slide, double knee slide AKA the rockstar, four on the floor AKA doggystyle, and figure fours. I really need to spend some time skating so that I can get more confident on 8 wheels. I really had a blast though. All of the girls were so sweet and really excited that we were all there. I can't wait for practice on Sunday!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did you come up with a good derby name?

Curvy girl said...

Bexxy Bombshell. You like?