Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A sad goodbye

My great uncle passed away last week. He was 84. He lived a really fascinating life that I knew very little about until yesterday's memorial service. I knew that he had fought in World War II, but I had no idea he went to Korea. I knew that he had met his wife of 54 years in Italy while in the Army, but I had no idea he and his family had been stationed abroad in places like France and Germany. It makes me sad that I missed out on spending time with him. I always exchanged small talk at family functions, but I never took the time to really find out who he was as a person. It's a tragic lesson to learn.

As I was standing at Fort Logan National cemetery yesterday, I cried. Not only for my uncle, but for all the men and women resting there. For my friend A, who just shipped out on Sunday to serve 18 months in Iraq. For my friend V8, who has been and will go back to Iraq again. For my friend Doc's sons that have both been twice and suffer from PTSD and his anguish in not being able to help them. I cried at the senselessness and of the necessity of it all.

All I can think of to say is thank you. Thank you, come home safe and come home soon.

No comments: