Thursday, February 24, 2005

Ya know, I try to be a good lil house mouse....

and he nitpicks at me. And that makes me feel inadequate because I'm not pleasing my man. And that's all I want to do is please him and make him feel happy and loved. Is that too much to ask? I mean damn.

So here's the scenario.... He calls me last night and says he's driving up. Awesome! I'm happy!!! He wants to know what I'm making him for dinner. I ask him what he would like. He says steak. (Last week he came home with a case of all different kinds of steaks, so my freezer is packed with meat. LOL) I say ok, call me when you are leaving so I know when to have it ready. Now here's the thing, I have never made steak before. I'm either too broke or the guy I'm dating is too broke to buy steak. Plus, I don't have a grill. And when my parents made steak at home we always grilled it. So I begin calling all my friends to find out how you cook steak without a grill. Angel comes through and tells me how to cook it in a pan. So I season the meat up and start cooking it. I put on rice and green beans as well. I'm feeling quite proud of myself for attempting to do this without someone helping me. So then my darling CB gets home. I haven't seen him since Monday morning, I'm buzzing from 4 Apple Martinis that I downed at Morton's during happy hour, so I am really happy to see him. He comes into the kitchen and gives me a hug and a kiss and says, "What are you cooking those steaks in?"
"A little bit of oil."
"Well, that's not how I wanted them. I was going to cook them."
"You didn't say that. You asked me what I was making YOU for dinner."
"Well, I can fix it."
So he proceeds to dump out the oil and start putting in this Marsala (sp?) wine and mushrooms into the pan. YUCK!!!! He knows I don't eat mushrooms and I'm probably not going to like it. Then he complains that I'm using the wrong utensils for those pans.
That's it. I throw up my hands and tell him that he can finish making dinner by himself and I leave the room. It's all I can do not to cry. I feel awful. At that moment in time it feels like our relationship will never work out. We can't even agree on what to eat for dinner. He's Steak Marsalla and I'm Hamburger Helper. I feel like I don't please him and make him happy. He comes into the office and tries to make amends. I just act casually and try not to be as upset on the outside as I feel on the inside. He asks me to come eat with him, but I have completely lost my appetite. I come out and and put one spoonful of rice and about 5 bites of steak on my plate. I sit down and try the steak. I hate it. It smells horrible and it tastes disgusting. I feed it to the dog.
Our relationship just feels "off" lately. Maybe it's because we aren't in that honeymoon stage anymore. Which if that's the case that sucks cause it really wasn't long enough. Maybe it's because we've both been stressed out lately. Could be that I'm just being way overly sensitive cause I am being visited by Aunt Flo. I have no idea. All I know is that I don't like it. So I decide not to sulk over the whole dinner issue. I do tell him that I am NEVER making dinner for him again. He laughs. I'm serious though. I'm actually a really good cook. He just never gets to see that because he wants to do it his way or he won't eat what I can make.
So we snuggle up and go to bed. I wake up this morning feeling really playful. I've missed him dreadfully these last few days. So we tickle and wrestle around. He pinches me for biting him. Now my arms are covered in tiny little pinch bruises. It was a good morning. It felt right. All is well in our world again. So now that his 7 day hiatus from "us" time is over, maybe I'll get lucky tonight. Or should I say he'll be the lucky one.... as this could be a perfect time to bust out that super sexy outfit. ;)

No comments: